Bridging the U.S. Lithium Battery Supply Chain Gap
What is Li-Bridge?
The world is at the cusp of a dramatic transition in energy infrastructure. As widespread electrification drives demand for lithium-based batteries to power electric vehicles and stationary storage, the domestic battery supply chain must expand. Batteries are central to this transition, however, rapid movement to electrification requires as much as a twenty-fold increase in manufacturing capacity, including mineral refining, recycling, material production, component processing, and cell/pack manufacturing. Achieving this target requires a holistic strategy that brings together all stakeholders, including private industry, national laboratories, and the federal government. Li-Bridge is a public-private alliance committed to accelerating the development of a robust and secure domestic supply chain for lithium-based batteries. Li-Bridge serves as the nucleus by bringing together stakeholders to develop and execute a national strategy.
History of Li-Bridge
- February 2021 – The Biden Administration issues an Executive Order on America’s Supply Chains
- June 2021 – The Federal Consortium for Advanced Batteries (FCAB) – established to put the U.S. on a path to long-term competitiveness in the global battery value chain and led by the Departments of Energy, Defense, Commerce, and State – releases a National Blueprint for Lithium Batteries, 2021 – 2030, which serves as the 100-day report requested in the Executive Order.
- October 2021 – Li-Bridge is created as a U.S. public-private partnership to bridge the gaps across the domestic battery supply chain battery ecosystem
Who makes up Li-Bridge?
Li-Bridge is facilitated through a competitively-selected alliance with three U.S.-based convenor organizations – NAATBatt International, New York Battery and Energy Storage Technology Consortium (NY-BEST), and New Energy Nexus, – representing over 600 industry stakeholders across the high-capacity domestic battery ecosystem.
Many DOE National Laboratories support this effort, including LBNL, ANL (coordinator), BNL, INL, NREL, ORNL, and PNNL.
Li-Bridge is focused on bringing key stakeholders together to improve the lithium battery supply chain and marks the first collaboration of its kind in the US battery industry.
Li-Bridge Report – Building a Robust and Resilient U.S. Lithium Battery Supply Chain
An action plan released by the Li-Bridge public-private alliance representing collaborative efforts by more than 40 companies, with 26 recommended actions.
America’s Strategy to Secure the Supply Chain for a Robust Clean Energy Transition
Developed by DOE in response to Executive Order 14017 on America’s Supply Chains, the strategy summarizes the crucial elements of the energy supply chain, examines key technologies and crosscutting topics, and includes actions the U.S. government is employing or will soon employ to strengthen domestic clean energy supply chains.
Grid Energy Storage: Supply Chain Deep Dive Assessment
Developed by DOE, as part of the response to the request in Executive Order 14017 “America’s Supply Chains” for a 1-year report, this report includes evaluations of supply chains.
Fact Sheet – Achieving American Leadership in the Grid Storage Supply Chain
A Fact Sheet on the larger report – “Grid Energy Storage: Supply Chain Deep Dive Assessment.”
National Blueprint for Lithium Batteries, 2021 – 2030
Developed by FCAB, this document outlines a national blueprint to guide investments to put the U.S. on a path to long-term competitiveness in the global battery value chain.
Li-Bridge Past Events
March 16-17, 2022 Bridging the Gap: Advancing America’s Battery Manufacturing and Supply Chain
- Over the course of two days, Li-Bridge facilitated the sharing of perspectives from battery industry stakeholders on opportunities and challenges across the supply chain, and how to promote increased collaboration towards the vision and goals of the National Blueprint for domestic manufacturing of lithium batteries.
October 29, 2021 Building Bridges Across the Battery Ecosystem
- A virtual event announcing Li-Bridge and exploring how to accelerate the development of a robust and secure domestic supply chain for lithium-based batteries in accordance with the the National Blueprint for Lithium Batteries, 2021 – 2030.
Check back soon for more info!